DSM: Re: Diploma

From: Ann Ide (ann.ide@rcn.com)
Date: Sun Dec 09 2001 - 13:46:08 EST

My automatic understanding of the word diploma is a document granted upon
the _successful_ completion of a course of study. How that institution
determines "success" and what a course of study is can vary. This is just
my historical understanding. Comes from the drift in my life. But what
does it matter what anyone thinks of what it is Supposed to mean? To me, a
lot of what Sudbury represents is designing newly what is meaningful for us.
We create with language. Don't get caught up using language as if it is
fixed or has truisms, or rights and wrongs. Create a new word or decide
what the standards are for YOUR school! What do the students want and/or
feel they need at the completion of their time at your school?

Ann