DSM: Re: RE: sense of community

From: Ann Ide (ann.ide@rcn.com)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 21:21:00 EST

Hi Joe, and all,

How is my perspective limited at SVS? Well, sometimes I go on campus to
look for my kids at pick up time, and I often go in to look through lost and
found. I MIGHT hear something from another parent whose kids tell them
what's going on at school; but mine don't. So news on what's going on at
school is very scanty. I occasionally look at the bulletin board; and I have
never seen anything of an altruistic nature on the board or elsewhere.
Never heard of anything either. I do get a sense that kids care deeply
about the school as a whole. I guess I pick up on this from what I hear at
the Assembly meetings,school performances, and social events. But I can't
tell how they feel about each other, other than their individual group of
friends. My kids certainly don't know everyone's names. They often have
trouble even remembering staff names! Jesse doesn't even know the names of
kids he plays with some days. I guess I'm thinking of community as a sort
of big extended family. Not quite the depth of love, of course, but in that
vein. Maybe this is too big an expectation. Also, SVS is now over 200
kids. That changes things. I'm sure the bigger the school the longer it
takes to get to know everyone and have these feelings. I was mostly curious
about the altruistic stuff. See a lot of it in public schools and I was
wondering if it was only because it is adult initiated, and if that type of
role modelling is necessary. Your theory is interesting. Not sure what to
think of it. Seems kids are very egocentric in early years, to me.

Ann