Re: DSM: The homeschool curriculum

From: Scott David Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 11:32:29 EST

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001 Sugmapl@aol.com wrote:

> Dear Scott,
>
> Thank you very much. You write:
>
> > But, insofar as the school itself does not start it's
> > relationship with a student with a plan for how any given
> > student will unfold -- that there is no "curriculum" which
> > limits or defines the type or sort of information which will
> > be pursued -- the term "school" sometimes misleads
> > people.
>

> Exactly, the "school" does well by declining to pursue a curriculum or an
> agenda for the child at the start of it's relationship with the child. It
> could do equally well by declining to pursue an agenda or curriculum at the
> end of it's relationship with the child. It could decline to pursue language
> and questions as to whether the child has "prepared themselves to become
> responsible members of the larger community". I would suggest that language
> more suited to the leaving and the ending might be "Thank you, thanks for
> coming".

Indeed, Bill, "thanks for coming, good luck in what you do"
_is_ basically what we do say when people leave. Some
people choose to seek a diploma -- some of whom leave on
receipt of a diploma and some of whom don't -- but the
_diploma_ is given with an eye to the question you mention.

In this, Bill, I agree; the diploma _is_ alien to the heart
of the school. Several students, holding to this position,
have left without seeking a diploma. And I think that an
ever-growing number of persons in our Assembly sense a
contradiction over the diploma. The SVS press has a
publication entitled "The Diploma Debate," in which this
argument is made and explored.

A glimpse at a defense for a diploma in this context: I
think that many who believe that it is OK for a Sudbury
school to offer a diploma, feel that the reason it is OK is
because the school neither endorses nor objects to the idea
of a student seeking a diploma; that letting people choose
whether or not to use the diploma procedure is no more
offensive than letting people choose whether or not to use
the photolab. I admit that I am not quite convinced by this
argument, but the position is not unreasonable.

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org