RE: DSM: Television

From: Gayle Remisch (tegdib@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 21:48:25 EST

I suppose like anything else there are a million and one different
arguments for or against television. I tried to make it simple. I
explain and example to my kids that the television is a tool just like
the Microwave, we use it at specific times for specific purposes. And
while I know people who get along just fine without either in their
home, I know I wouldn't want to. Not yet anyway. So even if that
purpose is for entertainment, Anna especially (9)takes great pleasure
and pride in using her favorite button...the power off button. This is
ever since I gave her permission to do so when she was watching her
first scary movie...Disney's "Fox and Hound". She didn't like the
battle between the Hound and the Bear. I saw will joy the empowerment
she was filled with when I said that if she didn't like what was on,
she had the power and the right to stop it, to make it go away, to turn
it of. She was 3 then and to this day she happily turns off things
which she feels are inapropriate for her, boring, stupid, pointless and
the like.

It has encouraged the kids to read the TV guide and decide what they
wanted to watch, to choose consciously, to discern and plan their time.
Last night She waited eagerly for 9pm for the History channel showing
of King Henry the VIII's wives. I was down on the computer, and having
turned the TV off after her show was done she came down and she asked
me to help her look up some more info on the net and in our
encyclopedias. It was 10pm and she is 9. I suppose, she'd have been
in bed long before then if we didn't homeschool, but the other plus was
that she said she didn't even bother with the cartoon channel after the
program was over, "because it was all stupid stuff" acording to her.

The Microwave analogy works well for us.

Gayle