Re: DSM: Television

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 12:30:40 EST

Hi there everyone,

One of best things about Sudbury is that the children live
in the real world. Now TV, whether it is manipulative or not,
indisdious or not, is part of the real world. If we think TV is
harmful for our children, we ought to inform them just HOW
it is harmful, and help them avoid its pitfalls. But keeping
children AWAY from TV does not do that.

Drugs, tobacco, alcohol and many other things are also harmful.
We will never keep our kids away from them by simple prohibi-
tions. Would it help to prevent AIDS, if we simply decided not
to inform our kids about sex, or even if we were to say to them
sternly: "Just DON'T do it"? Surely not. Sex, just like curiosity,
cannot be subdued in humans by mere fiat.

Only by making sure that our kids KNOW all about all things in life
will we make reasonably sure they are not harmed by whatever it
is that they might come into contact with during the course of their
lives. (Of course one can never be one hundred per cent sure about
anything, especially about anything that's going to happen in the
future!)

Just my two bits,

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>