DSM: trust and censorship

From: morticia crone (medea9mac@surfeu.de)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 04:21:29 EST

hi joe,

*My approach has never been to censor communication from my children. I
believe shielding kids from manipulative and agenda-filled communication
(especially advertising) deprives them of the information presented,
deprives them the opportunity to learn for themselves that they are
undergoing a sales job (thanks to no censorship, my children now pick up
on that in about 30 seconds), and quite simply deprives them the
opportunity to live in a world filled with people trying to manipulate
them.*

wow, this is heavy. i know some others have represented a similar view, and it is a very compelling argument. more trust that they will work it out for their own best and less fear that they will unwittingly be duped. don't get me wrong, my bible was the continuum concept - i have great faith in my kids, but i think there can always be more room for less fear. so thank you all for these thoughts. however, joe, i don't suspect that your non-censorship of tv advertising was solely responsible for your children's ability to recognize a con job. i think the base must be far broader and that it has to do with you and wife's style of parenting as a whole, and please add to this. i am very curious.

hi ann,
sure i got over it - on the surface - but like i said in my other post - if i can't see my feet when swimming in a murky lake, the irrational fears play with my consciousness. and since you're in with NLP then you must know that the stresses we receive fixate themselves until they can be released. did you use your knowledge of NLP to help *deprogram* your 6 year old last year? why or why not? (off-list if you don't think it fits.) i didn't do anything to get over it, not consciously. everybody just dealt with it. if my eyes were covered carrie would reach through the floor and grab me. so my eyes couldn't be covered, ever. no amount of rational discussion could change the effect those films had on me at that time in my life. i think it is dangerous to underestimate the power of fear. i don't know when that stopped. this made getting dressed and undressed a challenge. my brother used to drive me to school every day when i was six, on the back of his motorcycle, on the freeway. he did pop-o-wheelies and accelerated suddenly, putting the fear of death into me - because i loved it. one situation i was in control of, the other i wasn't.

cheers,
        ~morticia~