DSM: Television and freedom?

From: morticia crone (medea9mac@surfeu.de)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 15:17:52 EST

hello!
TEM (tone establishment moment - thank you joseph :-) ) : ugh (amicable)

i get the argument with sweets - let 'em eat what they want and after awhile
they begin to see for themselves that only sweets just won't cut it and they
get themselves all balanced on their own, great experiences, wonderful
lessons, self guided learning, fantastic; but what about a kid who wants to
test his or her bravery? this kid heads for the train tracks and begins to
play with the train, knowing that he or she can dodge it at the last
minute/second before the train flattens him or her. let's not get in the
way of this child's freedom to discover just how brave or daring or stupid
or silly or whatever you can come up to call it he or she really is. let's
not say, hey, that really gives me the jeebers when i see you standing on
those tracks with a train bearing down on you. (by the way, did you know
your shoelace was untied?) no, that would be disrupting the child's sense
of freedom. IT'S DANGEROUS! and so is teevee - when not taken in
moderation. it's good to learn from others, and it's good to experience for
ourselves, but age-appropriate. who am i to judge about age, you ask?
that's why i'm here with my kids, to support them, not to let them be duped
by media that does its best to exert control.

and as regards carrie and jaws - i simply should NOT have watched them. i
was far too young - 7 when i saw carrie and 9 or so when i saw jaws. if
i'd've waited another few years the impact would have been far less
horrifying and i could have placed what i saw in the context where it
belonged - fiction meant to excite and thrill, as opposed to the context
that they both automatically received in my brain - however mistaken: truth
and the terrors of the real world - that still lurk in my subconscious
(despite how logical and clear headed i try and be when swimming in a lake
where i can't see my feet...).

i can totally relate to working through stuff by living, acting, doing, but
teevee shapes our lives and just letting it run loose in our lives isn't the
equivalent of not impinging on our kids' freedom. i hear you courtney about
not taking away the experience of making mistakes - that's not what i am
about, but for me, unbridled teevee is like playing on train tracks (when a
train is coming). i just won't let it happen. from the little they do
watch they get enough junk and fear and stereotypes pumped into them. some
things are inherently unsafe, and just because a child doesn't know that
doesn't mean they MUST experience it for themselves - i'm talking age
appropriate here. i'll know from the signals my kids give me when they are
ready for various programs. it's all so relative; even now, a common
question they hear from me is: is this something you really need? their
answers aren't just yes; they share with me their thoughts and i can see
that they really have thought about it, and as far as i'm concerned when
they can think about a program and not simply be washed up in the fantasy
and adventure of it all, then they are ready for it.

great posts warren and robert!
breathe out, ok, i'm primed for the backlash, fire away!

~morticia~ :-)