Re: DSM: Re: Re: Re: Television

From: Mike Sadofsky (sadofsky@mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 12:09:20 EST

WOW!
I try to stay away from adding to these threads, but sometimes I am
driven to add my perspective.

Warren writes below:
>TV is not benign. Every image and every word is carefully
>crafted or filtered by anonymous agents in order to condition your needs,
>wants, opinions, preferences and attitudes to match their own political or
>commercial agendas.

Is your goal to raise children in a "benign" environment?
So TV isn't benign.
Newspapers aren't benign.
Magazines aren't benign.
Books, whether fiction or non-fiction aren't benign.
Grocery stores and convenience stores aren't benign.
Farming, ranching, dining, and practicing medicine aren't benign.
Statements by politicians and government agencies aren't benign.
Advocacy agencies aren't benign.
Games aren't benign.
Parents aren't benign.
People aren't benign.

I always felt and continue to feel that the role of parents and adults
in contact with children is to help them understand that much of what
we experience has been shaped to meet some set of goals. If kids
understand this and seek to create a perspective for interpretation
that recognizes the biases and objectives that others hold, then we've
accomplished a great deal.

Mike Sadofsky