RE: DSM: Re: Re: Re: Television

From: Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 11:36:45 EST

Not to get too far afield, here, but - TV does not have an agenda? Then why
do the people pay to have their ads shown? Not from the goodness of their
hearts. No paid ads = 99% less TV. And I would dispute that the programs are
mere reflections of what people already want to see - there's too much of a
feedback loop for that to be the case.

And, sure, college can be just a big high school, and as such are to be
avoided like the plague they are. But, they can also be a smorgasbord - take
what you want and leave the rest, at least as much as TV, and with way fewer
attempts to sell you soda pop.

BTW: My kids do watch TV at other people's houses, and I never comment on
that - they can do what they want. Sure, they pick up my anti-TV bias, as
well as my not eating red meat and eschewing both major political parties
and speaking English instead of Urdu and on and on. The relevant point here
is not that I don't have strong opinions, but rather that they are allowed
to have strong opinions too, and they don't have to be mine.

Joseph