Re: DSM: Re: Re: Re: Television

From: morticia crone (medea9mac@surfeu.de)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 02:05:37 EST

*They spend millions finding out what people
really want.*

actually, they spend millions _telling_ everybody _what_ to want - mainly in
the form of commercials, which one can thankfully tune out. however, the
coercion and influence the television media exerts is massive and extensive.
(and from what i understand the effects on the brain are not a matter of
personal ability to tune out or not (esoteric discussions aside), but when
i've finished the book, i'll let you know ardeshir.) just look at what coca
cola did - we all saw the sept 11 films over and over again, then as things
were slowing down coca cola just inserted one of their delivery vans into
the scene of rubble and began their advertising! there is so much
subliminal work going on there, i find it hard to ignore the negative
effects of tv. that said, tv has a lot of redeeming qualities.

*I actually make a point of trying not to be to judgmental about my
daughters
TV watching because I think all I end up doing is communicating that their
judgement is flawed. *

this is an interesting point and one i'd like to think about further,
however i remember being desperately curious as a child about certain
programs that i simply shouldn't have watched - like jaws and carrie to name
the main two that stick out in my head.

cheers,
        ~morticia~