Re: DSM: Re: Re: Re: Television

From: Evfocus@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 18:04:45 EST

There is a huge difference between college and TV. College is interested in
giving people what they "should want" just like schools. TV has no agenda
about what people should want. They spend millions finding out what people
really want.
In a way they are similiar to Sudbury in that way, there is no value
judgement placed on what people want. It doesn't matter whether they want
mud wrestling or politcal discussion they give them whatever they want to
watch.
I actually make a point of trying not to be to judgmental about my daughters
TV watching because I think all I end up doing is communicating that their
judgement is flawed.
If schools had to hold interest the way television does, they would be much
better places. Right now we have a vicious cycle. Schools say to kids "We
don't care what you think or feel this education is good for you"
Television listens to what they want, and that includes antischool,
antiauthority programming which may be caused by a society that refuses to
respect their wishes.
Imagine if schools had to get the Neilson ratings shows do?
Evelyn Hardesty
DVS Parent