RE: DSM: Re: Re: Re: sudbury in the home

From: Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 15:04:14 EST

Tone establishment moment: the tone is jocular.

Wait a sec, Scott - isn't the argument you make about college exactly the
one to apply to TV? You can get all the positive stuff TV has to offer
(about 3% of the content, to my gimlet eye) someplace else without having to
put up with all the nonsense.

I listen to the radio while I wash dishes, read the paper - and don't miss
TV one bit, except when the Lakers are on. I can even watch news clips over
the Net when it's important (that's what I did September 11th). And, I don't
have to watch any ads!! Stupid sitcoms will never darken my living room,
"Reality" will not be reframed as a pack of attention-starved rat-eating
idiots, Dan Rather's furrowed brow will never o'ershadow the ponderous
TRUTHS escaping the barrier of his unnaturally white teeth! In these small
things, and much more, I rejoice!

Just another view, your mileage may vary, and so on,
Joseph

BTW: Compulsory school is *also* "a core part of our cultural experience and
lexicon", yet some of us feel we're better off without that particular
shared experience. ;-}