Re: DSM: sense of community

From: Mark Stafford & Angela Sevin (markangela@mail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 12:10:50 EST

If you mean by a sense of community that a Sudbury school allows for the
possibility for individuals to care for themselves while remaining respectful to
the needs of the entire group, I would say that sometimes it does fulfill that
need for individuals and sometimes it doesn't. I don't believe it is a fault of
the democratic structure, since the guidelines ensure that everyone has a voice.
It is the general will of the majority though, that sometimes can make some
members feel like outsiders (in my opinion and experience). I am interested in
why and why not this is (and isn't), and would very much like to hear more on what
the priority is for folks in Sudbury schools to work towards this "sense of
community" (since the individual rights seem to be so emphasized).

appreciatively,

Angela Sevin