Re: DSM: sense of community

From: Bruce Smith (bsmith@coin.org)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 23:40:08 EST

The sense of community I feel at Alpine Valley School is one of the things
I most cherish, not just about my school but also in my life in general. I
am a staff member, and not a parent, but the feeling of belonging and
support has been consistent, gratifying and, at times, almost overwhelming.
>From everything I've observed, the students and parents here also perceive
and value the community we share.

In School Meetings, sometimes a speaker will disavow responsibility for
others' behavior or happiness. While some may find that frustrating, let me
point out that (in my opinion, at least) all students' first responsibility
_is_ to themselves, to learn who they are and how to act responsibly on
that knowledge. Our students do, by and large, feel a very strong sense of
responsibility for the welfare of the school.

Finally, it's just as likely as not that someone at a Sudbury school would,
any given time, undertake a project designed to enhance the larger
community. If Ann hasn't witnessed such an activity at SVS, that of course
doesn't mean it didn't/doesn't happen, there and elsewhere.

Bruce