DSM: sense of community

From: Ann Ide (ann.ide@rcn.com)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 22:29:02 EST

Here's another question of mine. I've only been at SVS since April 2000. In my limited exposure to kids at school I haven't been able to tell if they develop a sense of community- a feeling of belonging to a group of people that you can trust and you feel cares about you and you care about them;people you can count on for support if needed. I can observe small groups of friends that feel that way about each other; but does it expand larger than that? Does it include parents at all? Do parents feel it (that's another issue/topic- but one I care about.). Do kids learn to care about others outside of school? I felt a bit sad that I didn't see or hear of any activities to help others after Sept. 11 (or at any time for that matter). I only see activities to take care of selves. Maybe that's age appropriate? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ann Ide
Sudbury Valley School