DSM: Re: Re: Re: sudbury in the home

From: Ann Ide (ann.ide@rcn.com)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 22:17:31 EST

Hi all,

Decision-making and deciding on rules isn't where I struggle so much. I hate having to come up with consequences for breaking the rules. Can't always come up with something that's logical. But more than that, what I am most perplexed about is that I still feel compelled to influence my children even in areas that " only affect them". Without my influence, Kenny and Jesse would watch tv from the time they get home from school for the rest of the night. They would also choose to sit inside all day on weekends, mostly watching tv. They don't ask to learn sports, even how to ride a bike. (Mark and I are always going out to exercise, even do our weight work at home.) They would choose other poor health habits, if I let them. They have a friend over and choose to watch a video- I ask them to "play" first for a while. I influence. Can't help it! I know I interfere a LOT less than non-Sudbury folk. I'm just wondering how pure I "should or could" be.

Ann Ide