RE: DSM: What if....? about re-entry

From: SRF (Faulkner@cshore.com)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 01:36:42 EST

YIKES!

I absolutely don't think it is bad for anyone, at any age, to lose her/his
vulnerability to authoritarian pressure! That's not what I meant to say. And
I agree that the sm experience gives the kids a big head start on taking
responsibility for their own learning.

I realize now that something you have said gets right to the heart of our
worries. When she is in her classroom, our 10 year old _doesn't_ know how to
get for herself what she needs. (That's the problem! And it is what makes
the sudbury model so interesting to us.) I was imagining a return to
traditional schools without that skill in mind. I understand what you are
saying about being outside for even a short while. You are better able to
take what you can use from the system and disregard much of the rest.
Especially when you have gained trust in your own ability to make choices
and pursue goals/interests.

I agree that "pulling back the trust from their kids", whether by taking
them out of a self-determined learning environment or in any other way, is
devastating to kids. Of course, it is devastating for anybody, isn't it? I
know how I've felt when I've lost the trust of someone who is important to
me.

But assuming that is not what happens. That it becomes 'out of reach'... the
school closes, or we move away. And that what you've described... that
coming from the sudbury model the kids are more able to get for themselves
what they need. And assuming that they handle reasonably well all of the
wrenching changes that come with moving to an unfamiliar place. What then
actually happens? Have you, or anyone else on the list, spoken with any
students &/or parents afterward? Did the traditional school attempt to
evaluate the student's accomplishments? Did the student have any significant
trouble? Did the parents have significant trouble? When the student is at a
much different place in their learning than their peers in a traditional
setting, what happens? Is this really a non-issue, one that parents and
children should not even consider as part of the decision to withdraw from
traditional schooling? I have to admit, I'm not as concerned about it as I
was before. It makes sense to me that they'd be in better shape than if they
hadn't had the sm experience.

I hope we never have to face this. We'd like to be able to enroll in a
sudbury model school and stay there. Life just isn't that predictable. Not
our lives, anyway. Not right now.