DSM: Re: sudbury in the home

From: Ann Ide (ann.ide@rcn.com)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 20:41:45 EST

Hi everyone,

Ann Ide here. New to list and SO happy to hear this question! We have been at SVS since April 2000. We're very comfortable with how the model works at school; but are still learning how to incorporate it into our home life. The ongoing question is: when is it really necessary to intervene in our children's lives? Do we have rules about their eating habits? Our 7 year old would happily live on bread, juice and junk. Do we let them stay up all night? Do we let them watch tv all the time they're home? And so on. It's not so simple. Plus you have to factor in that other people are sharing the living space. We have family meetings to work out some things. Maybe if we had them on a regular basis it would be better. Our 11 year old is fine with the differences between school and home and can understand and accept our reasonings. Our 7 year old, however, gets very indignant when he can't have his way about things and will try to prove his "rights", it seems. We're talking about things like wearing a seatbelt even. And we're far from being authoritative parents. Anyone come up with a good list of home rules and regulations and a family version of JC so it's not just the parent versus child power struggle? Hope you'll post your ideas and experiences on the list or at least include me, if sent privately. (Ann.Ide@rcn.com)

Thanks,
Ann Ide