Re: DSM: Re: appreciation and credits

From: Karen Locke (villagespecialed@charter.net)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 15:52:52 EST

Mark,

We are a public charter school. A lot of the ideas for the school (letting
kids decide what to do, school meeting) were taken from SVS. Some things
(teachers hired by hiring committee-mostly adults, school board also mostly
adults ) are partly shaped by state law (e.g. the board must have a
majority of teachers on it). Kids enroll like they would in any other
public school, and we get our money from the state (and some money like
Chapter I and Special Ed. from the federal government). We have about 65
students k-12. We have our own building located near a pond and a river in
Northfield, MN.

I was hired to do mostly Special Ed, but I do lots of things. If anyone
has students who would like to e-mail students in other democratic schools,
please let us know. Many students are getting into e-mail, and it might be
helpful for them in gathering information about other practices for school
meeting proposals.

Karen