Re: DSM:RE: state subsidy

From: Gayle Remisch (tegdib@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 17:34:55 EST

Over the years I have had many parents who barter for their children
coming here. One was a Massage Therapist, who I got free Massages
from... that was nice, but it didn't pay the hydro bill. Then there's
the woman who is a hair dresser who gives me perms and colourings and
does my daughters hair as an exchange, only the Landlord doesn't want
his hair cut in lieu of some of the rent. Then there are those parents
who come out and help transport kids to different events and one who
even lets us ride their horse as often as we want because they can't
afford to pay for it and us. Unfortunately, although I'd love to run a
barter school, my creditors won't go for it. My opinion is that I must
limit the barterdom to only being available once the minimum number of
paying students is met. That needs to be an understanding that is in
place from the beginning. That so long as there are enough paying
students to keep the school and those who run its' heads above water,
then there is the option of bartering.

Now my challenge is what to do when I loose children who pay and still
have the ones who don't. I don't want to kick out those kids because
they will suffer, but I'm in a situation where if I don't I'm just
digging myself in deeper.

Gayle
Banyan Tree School