RE: DSM: Graduates without essential life skills

From: Kristina Maus (maus@bmts.com)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 11:16:45 EST

Dear Bill,

You wrote to Ardishir: There are two choices. We can offer the child
freedom without a purpose.
The freedom will be self-referential. We will hold no goals in mind for the
child. The child may use the freedom as they wish, as long as they abide by
the community norms.

Doesn't "abiding by the community norms" imply restrictions to freedom that
have us creating responsible citizens? In doing that, freedom pure and
simple doesn't exist. I'm not sure that it can exist in any society, not
without dire consequences to the whole. And I'm not convinced that, with
said restriction in mind, we can create anything but alternative education
in an attempt to do better.

I have enjoyed reading your very idealistic views toward schooling, admired
them actually, but I have serious concerns about how implementable they are.

Warm Regards,
Kristina