DSM: RE: bullying

From: Lea Mason (masonle@pacbell.net)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 20:13:52 EST

Hi Karen,

Based on what I have seen as a parent of a student in a Sudbury model
school, the victim of bullying can write a complaint against the bully for
violation of any school laws, one of which is the right of all school
members to respectful treatment. Also, any other student or staff member
who observes the bullying can write a complaint, even if the victim does
not. The case then comes to the Judicial Meeting, where evidence is heard
and sentences proposed and voted upon. At our school, all students and
staff attend Judicial Meeting (we have about 24 students).

In the long run, if the behavior does not change, the Judicial Meeting can
vote to suspend or expel the bully. I believe this would happen only if the
problem remains unresolved after a number of complaints over a period of
time.

>From my perspective, the judicial system is one of the best features of the
Sudbury model. I believe it is very empowering for the students to be able
to influence their quality of life at school in this way.

Lea Mason
Diablo Valley School parent