Re: DSM: Graduates without essential life skills

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 10:53:26 EST

Hi Bill, and friends:

Bill Richardson wrote:

> Dear Peter,
>
> ... <snip> ...
>

> Sudbury Valley is life, lived. Period.

Surely this is too broad a definition. Even a Nazi concentration
camp is "life, lived: period" -- at least until one is duped into the
gas chamber. There ought to be a way to tell a Sudbury Valley
type of School apart from Nazi concentration camps -- and like-
wise, from run-of-the-mill (or even so-called "excellent") public
and private schools.

Wouldn't you say so?

What I think Peter was getting at was a way to speak to precisely
WHY an SVS should be the school of choice -- as opposed to, say,
Eton or Harrow. (I look back on my own schooldays with fear and
loathing, modeled as my school was after these English "public"
schools -- even though it all happened over forty years ago.)

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>