Re: DSM: Graduates without essential life skills

From: Evfocus@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 21:03:52 EST

Your post made me think about how much reading the Sudbury books changed how
I view the way children learn essential life skills. One of the premises of
the Sudbury philosophy is that children are born with the desire to learn
what they need to know to be adults. I don't know how much academic
knowledge she'll have when she is eighteen. I do know that she has ahe has
already aquired some essential life skills from living in this world.

Below is the text from flyer my nine year old, who attends DVS in Concord
made last summer. She did it from start to finish without my assistance. She
went door to door in our neighborhood and offered her services. I asked her
if I could post it to this list. She said she wants you all to know she made
$10 her first day.
Evelyn Hardesty
DVS Parent

J.R.
MOBILE
CAR WASH

COST:
CAR WASHING IS 2.00$
CAR VACUUMING IS 1.00$
REFRESHMENTS ARE .25

TIME:
Tuesdays, Thursdays, 12:00 to 5:00

Here at JR carwash we care about the cars. We will clean, vacuum and offer
you drinks. We have low prices. If you come during our grand opening week
you will leave with not only a clean car but also a pass for a free car
cleaning and vacuuming. We promise to do our best to make your car look just
like new. Satisfaction guaranteed.
THANKS FOR LISTINING!