Re: DSM: Graduates without essential life skills

From: Bruce Smith (
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 15:17:31 EST

In my 5 years' experience with Sudbury schools (which has included knowing
a few long-term graduates first-hand), I have not heard of a single
graduate who felt at a disadvantage for having attended a Sudbury school. A
Sudbury diploma is predicated on exactly the standard Peter raises: having
prepared to become an effective adult in the world at large.

Every one of Peter's "essential skills" speak to practical competence, and
since Sudbury students live a real-world curriculum every day, they gain
infinitely greater preparation than do their traditionally-schooled
counterparts. In fact, I challenge the traditional model to do as well as
Sudbury schools have on this count. No school can guarantee that its
graduates will thrive in society; to my mind, however, Sudbury schools
allow their students to develop in spades the real-world skills that
traditional schools marginalize, and without the heavy burden upon their
competence and personal development far too typical of traditional

Bruce Smith, staff
Alpine Valley School

If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please send an email TO (do NOT reply to the mailing list) with the following