RE: DSM: Thoughts on Tuition Structure

From: Bruce Smith (bsmith@coin.org)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 12:21:32 EST

Speak of "touchy," "lambasting," "dumping" and "immature"! I found Liz's
own post rather rude. But perhaps this dynamic is peculiar to email, which
seems susceptible to misunderstandings and misinterpretations. Even so,
leaping over questioning someone's intent to immediately assuming the
worst of them is an approach which does not become a member of this list.
I hope _I_ am misinterpreting Liz's intent, because on the surface, it
reminds me of someone who is so bothered at some perceived wrongdoing that
they don't stop long enough to figure out what's going on.

Some people _are_ put off by vigorous (yet still respectful) debate, but
it should be pointed out that this is a staple of Sudbury schools...and so
is disagreement about whether a discussion is respectful enough. Mimsy
expressed some honest frustration, as did Liz. Why is it, then, that I
found only Liz's post objectionable? Clearly, it must be my excessive
Sudbury conditioning...

Bruce