Re: DSM: Thoughts on Tuition Structure

From: Todd Robinson (todd@ClinicalSoftware.net)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 16:05:41 EST

While I agree with Scott that the topic of SVS's tuition policy should not
be up for _debate_ on the DSM list, I do not agree that it has no bearing on
the Sudbury Model itself. This list is the only one I know of where I can
participate in discussions about how the model works in practice, including
topics such as how the model can exist financially. The tuition-related
experiences of SVS, as the original, largest, and most prominent school in
the model, are of keen interest to me when I think about how the model does
and does not work in the real world.

Scott gave the following analogy: "debating how one particular UK citizen
should go about calculating his/her taxes, on a mailing list for the
discussion of general policies/philosophies of taxation". Being that there
are only 20-some schools that follow the model, I would say the recent
discussions are more analogous to discussing how the entire United Kingdom
calculates its taxes.

Todd Robinson
Clearwater School parent