RE: DSM: Thoughts on Tuition Structure

From: Scott David Gray (
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 15:25:42 EST

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Liz Reid&Errol Strelnikoff wrote:

> Mimsy wrote:
> But for people who are not, in any way, connected with the school, to
> suddenly start giving advice, as if we were all born yesterday, seems
> strangely out of place. Am I alone feeling this way?
> Liz:
> Why does anyone not connected to the school write anything here? It must
> all seem out of place to you, yet you have managed to ignore it well enough.
> Why is it ony for this issue that you felt the need to complain? Perhaps
> you could clarify to those unconnected what they can give opinions on and
> what they can't so that we don't forget our place.

To be specific, this is a topic that has no bearing on the
Sudbury Model itself. It is a purely internal affair. How
the Assembly of a given Sudbury School sets its tuition
structure, chooses to purchase its birdseed, or gets the
building cleaned, is beyond the scope of this mailing list.
I can see a person _from_ a Sudbury school mentioning a
particular policy of their school by way of example -- but I
can't see it really being up for public debate in this

It strikes me as a little odd to discuss such a question in
this forum; sort of like debating how one particular UK
citizen should go about calculating his/her taxes, on a
mailing list for the discussion of general
policies/philosophies of taxation.

--Scott David Gray