Re: re[4]: DSM: democratic classroom

From: william van horn (wmvh1@excite.com)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 18:07:50 EST

In no way do I consider that people with disabilities to be "less than"
others. Different people have different needs. By throwing everyone under
one responce is doing a disservice to some.

 this same argument is used to justify a no-freedom approach for ALL
children. It also happens to be the same belief that allows one group of
people to rule with impunity over another -

This may be but I am NOT making this argument. Speaking of needs, would you
provide the same amount of supervision for your 1 year old and your 16 year
old around an unfenced swimming pool? Probably not because they have
different levels of understanding and physical capabilities (supposing the
16 year old can swim.) And though people with disabilites are not 1 year
olds, some may have difficulties with everyday activities.

Your seed analogy is strained. But to carry it a step further, the seeds may
sprout but the subsequent plants will not thrive unless they are in the
right environment. Just try to plant a shade loving plant from Vermont in
full sun in Arizona. Or a Joshua Tree in Vermont.

William

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001 08:16:53 -0700, discuss-sudbury-model@sudval.org wrote:

> The underlying assumption encapsulated in the post below is that some
people are "less-than" others and therefore, less able to enjoy the benefits
of freedom. Although the author was describing disabled children, sadly,
this same argument is used to justify a no-freedom approach for ALL
children. It also happens to be the same belief that allows one group of
people to rule with impunity over another -- "We the wise and educated
leaders know what's best for the ignorant masses -- they need our guidance."
This belief has been used to justify every political tyranny since the dawn
of time. And, I posit that there will always be tyranny in our world until
we overcome the belief that some need "guidance" beyond that which is
inherently provided by an environment of freedom.
> We have garden seeds that _appear_ to be less-than the others. We
give them the same nourishing environment, and, amazingly they grow to their
full potential [whatever that may be]. We never tell them, "Now seeds,
today we're going to absorb water and tomorrow we'll be absorbing trace
elements". They don't need us to do that, do they? The nourishing
environment we provide, plus the model their DNA provides combines to
generate yet another miracle of life.
> I say, let the disabled become all they can in the nourishing
environment of freedom!

> <snip>
>
> > I've worked with both of these groups and have seen the sparks of
interest
> > and the abilities, though often hidden, but they would be unable to
operate
> > on their own. In first case, they will need some intervention to
help guide
> > them to the place where they can see their own self-worth. Its
unlikely
> > they
> > would find it on their own This is also often the case with kids
with
> > disabilities when they are concentrating on what they can't do
rather than
> > what they can do. And, some just do not have the skills to live
completely
> > independently.
> rone to suggestion. The point though, is that the
> > Sudbury model would not work for every student. How can we help
those
> > students? What is the school model for those students?

much,
> "dsm-digest"

William M. Van Horn
wmvh1@excite.com