Re: DSM: What if....?

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 17:06:37 EST

Hi Joe:

I was being just a bit facetious.

Yes, of course, creativity is a plus in many jobs. But -- having
worked myself for the government (in India) and seeing my wife
work for the government (in Canada), and having known others
who work for big private firms, I see that the vast majority of
people who work for any big organisation are expected to be
far less creative than they could be. (My wife is a huge excep-
tion: and the problem is, that she spends a great deal of her time
correcting her colleagues' mistakes.)

Let me give you an example. My son Cyrus, when he was ten
or thereabouts, devised a method for detecting stealth aircraft.
I am an inventor myself, besides being a writer, and know how
to write up an invention; so I wrote it up and published it on my
Web page (URL given below). I was at the time having some
e-correspondence with a chap from Lockheed, and I sent him
the info, thinking maybe he'd bring it to the attention of the re-
levant people there (Lockheed being the company that pretty
much invented stealth in America). No reply. That was some
years ago. And I see that now the biggest armaments contract
of all time has been awarded to Lockheed for -- what else? --
a stealth fighter: which, if my son's invention works -- and I
for one can't see why it wouldn't -- would be obsolete even
before it hits the runway! (This, by the way, is how YOUR
tax dollars are being spent.)

You can check out my son's invention yourself at:

Best wishes,

Ardeshir <>

PS: what does "UCMJ" mean?

Joe Jackson wrote:

> Ardeshir,
> > Note also that, as a character on the British TV show "Yes,
> > Minister" once said, all this is excellent preparation for
> > working life, especially as an employee of the government or
> > a large corpo- ration! All this is PRECISELY what you're
> > supposed to do there too.
> This is maybe sorta kinda a somewhat smashing generalization. :)
> I work for the U.S. government, and I don't know one single person who
> works for the fed that doesn't need every single ounce of creativity and
> "thinking out of the box" they can squeeze out of themselves. In fact,
> many of the most creative people I know work for Uncle Sam.
> And the people I know that excel at public service often have the same
> quality that people that excel in the private sector as well as in the
> arts: they were able to (often at personal cost) resist much of the
> "spark extinguishing" administered in their schooling experience, and
> emerge with lots of creativity and imagination and independent thinking
> intact.
> Additionally, many of people that grew up relying on schooling
> environments where the discipline is externally-reinforced tend to wash
> out pretty quickly in government service, at least in the U.S. military
> where external reinforcement means UCMJ.
> Joe Jackson

If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please send an email TO (do NOT reply to the mailing list) with the following