Re: DSM: What if....?

From: Scott David Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 20:43:41 EST

Hi Laura,

Scott Gray at Sudbury Valley, here.

I did a quick search of the DSM archives, but (to my
surprise) found nothing on this. (Though it is hard to come
up with good criterion for this search.)

Your answer obviously depends on your audience. Two very
different kinds of answer come to mind:

1: Does it matter? Is a child who has absorbed less of the
traditional curriculum (who, for example, never memorized
the dates of major Civil War battles, and who never read
Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatera) really going to be hurt
in life?

2: The stuff that they do in traditional schools is
incredibly easy. Consider learning to read. Reading
consists mostly of deciphering a 26 letter code. If you've
ever studied a foreign language with a non-Latin alphabet as
an adult, you know that it takes only a few _days_ to learn
to read (Cuneiform Hieroglyphics and Kanji excepted). But
the schools spend years on learning to read. How hard can
it be to catch up? The hardest thing to learn in life is
how to manage one's own time -- and it's much harder to
learn _that_ in a traditional school.

I am looking forward to seeing replies to your message from
people who conduct enrollment interviews in Sudbury schools.

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org