Re: DSM: democratic classroom

From: Scott David Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 12:38:19 EST

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Highland wrote:

> "science". I'll admit that most of our staff members have not come from
> the ranks of public school teachers, however a valuable few have. Candy

And I bet that if you ask your ex- traditional school staff
members, they will confirm that had they stayed in the
traditional school environment, they were never going to do
anyone any good. Joanie and Mikel are two staff members at
our school that we are very thankful decided "to walk away
from traditional schooling, and do something less
destructive with their own lives."

Good people can easily get caught up in some pretty awful
things. But clever people who remain good can see what they
are involved in, and leave. I'm sure that many "burned out"
traditional school teachers have in fact left because the
system is broken and they see that it isn't possible to do
any good there.

In other words... Talking to traditional school teachers in
order to raise the liklihood that people (students,
teachers) will _leave_ the system seems reasonable. But I
think that it is an exercise in futility to try and do good
_in_ that environment. (Yes, some people do try -- though I
personally believe that it smacks more of foolhardiness than
bravery.)

I'd suggest a look at the "Trojan Horse" thread.

http://www.sudval.org/~sdg/archives/dsm6/0205.html

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org