Re: DSM: democratic classroom

From: Highland (highland@ruralnet.org)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 10:49:59 EST

Scott,
  I've been away from the computer for a while, but want to respond to
this message. I think you misunderstand my position about democracy, so
I'll try to be clearer. I don't believe that "classrooms" in our
commonly held definition - a place where kids are required to be and
where they are evaluated according to a preformulated curriculum - are
in any way democratic. That doesn't mean that I think we should not
communicate with public school teachers who are interested in furthering
the democratic school movement. Obviously, since you published an
article in the Kappan, you must agree.
Candy