RE: DSM: degrees of illusionary freedom

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 23:28:19 EST

Alan,

You seem to be saying that the majority has "veto power" over the
minority in a democracy.

My reaction would be "that's the whole point!"

To me the discriminating feature of a democracy is that an individual or
small group of individuals cannot assert their will over that of the
majority.

Though I think there's a certain amount of spin power in the word "veto"
when held against the wishes of children, isn't the reality that "veto
power" of the majority is what differentiates a democracy from a
dictatorship?

-Joe