Re: DSM: degrees of illusionary freedom

From: Scott David Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 09:43:09 EST

Harlan,

The world is more complex than your question suggests...
There is no "ultimate" authority over _anything_ larger than
a breadbox. :-)

Speaking from Sudbury Valley (schools in other states and
nations have different relationships with the state):

The school is subject to the laws of the United States, and
the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. It is under ordinances
of the Town of Framingham, and licensed to operate by the
Framingham School Committee. In order to revoke a license,
a School Committee needs to show cause; so the school (as
with most corporations and even nations) derives its power
in large measure from momentum, and a broader community that
follows the rule of law.

The membership of the corporation includes students, staff,
parents, public members, Trustees, and officers. However,
the governance of the corporation (as dictated by the
By-Laws, which derive their authority from the Commonwealth
of Massachusetts) is by two separate entities with very
different powers -- the School Meeting and the Assembly.

Fortunately for us in Massachusetts, the State does not have
a curriculum (public schools have a curriculum -- but
attempts by members of the legislature to impose one on
private schools have failed politically and in the courts).
This allows Sudbury Valley to exist without a curriculum and
without a major legal battle.

Legally, Sudbury Valley School is a non-profit corporation.
As with any other corporation or individual, it is subject
to the prevailing laws of any place in which it does
business (Framingham, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, US).

I hope that this helps,

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org