DSM: Startup funding (was: Almost Democracy

From: Christopher Weeks (clweeks@eclipse.net)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 06:46:57 EST

Todd Robinson wrote:

> Maybe someday I'll make some
> money and then I can create a trust fund that will help pay salaries

This makes me wonder about how startup schools are funded.

Teachers can work for free (maybe...I'm not sure how I'd manage). And the startup
group can sell SVS Press materials, but that could only go so far. How do you
manage real expenses? How do you obtain a property? It seems that SVS was
blessed with independently wealthy sponsors who were willing to risk a substantial
"loan" with very good terms. For those of us who don't have a spare $100k with
which to get started, what do we do?

What have the startups done to actually go? I'm also thinking not of schools with
five students, but ones starting with 20 and shooting for hundreds.

If you want to point me to valuable past discussions here, I'll happily go check
those out.

Thanks,

Christopher Weeks