re[2]: DSM: democratic classroom

From: Jesse Fisher (freedomworks@burgoyne.com)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 01:17:17 EST

If I might be so bold, I would suggest that democratic education may not be an all or nothing condition, but more a continuum -- from zero democratic features on one end to a full array of [then-understood] democratic features on the other end. Or, even, a dual-axis continuum with the level of intellectual freedom along, say, the X axis, and political freedom along the Y. Perhaps if a school ranks positively on both the intellectual and political freedom axes, they might be justly labelled "democratic" or "fully-democratic" or some similar identifier.

Jesse

PS. Perhaps some creative soul might come up with a quick set of criteria that would plot a person's educational standing, much like the Libertarians have done with their "World's Smallest Political Quiz."