RE: How We Come Off to Others (was RE: re[2]: DSM: democratic cla ssroom)

From: william van horn (wmvh1@excite.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 23:33:14 EST

As an "outsider" who asks questions, all I can say is that I see an
attitude of extreme belief in the Sudbury model and a sometimes snooty air
in defending it.

You may be right, but I am still exploring and formulating my ideas on how
education should be offered. I certainly do not think that the public
schools are doing a good job and I am skeptical that they could ever change
enough. I think there may be too much inertia built into the system. And
though I see Sudbury as a fantastic answer, I am not totally convinced. But
I am part of this discussion to learn more, so excuse my naive questions.

I'm curious, how do you respond to a student when he or she asks what
appears to you a stupid question?

William