RE: How We Come Off to Others (was RE: re[2]: DSM: democratic cla ssroom)

From: Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 18:37:11 EST

> From: Liz Reid&Errol Strelnikoff [mailto:lizanderrol@home.com]
>
> > There's no reason this model should
> > not explode upon
> > the world - our kids, with their freedom and their skills,
> > put the lie to
> > all the objections and all the claims of coercive schools.
>
> I had to chuckle at this one. My bet is by the time your kids are
> having kids of their own there will be an all-new and even better
> *model* out there and people will say, "Oh yeah, that old-fashioned
> Sudbury thing, those people just thought they were giving
> children true
> freedom, but they were just promoting another type of
> brainwashing. As
> though a model based on the US justic system is going to give children
> some kind of freedom! Those schools were just put together by some
> grown-ups with good intentions who just thought they knew better than
> the kids how they should learn! To understand freedom you
> have to send
> your kids to such-and-such a place, that is where you will find the
> truly best model to have kids grow up in!"
>
> Such is the Zeitgeist.
>
> Liz

Ha! But I do imagine that, if such a far more advanced model does arise,
it'll be the likes of Sudbury kids who come up with it. But I'm admittedly
heavily biased. ;-)

On a slightly more serious note: I never thought of the US justice system
being an inspiration, per se - it's the idea of moving the creation and
enforcement of rules away from an arbitrary authority and towards a
democratic community that brings about the superficial resemblance.

Joseph