How We Come Off to Others (was RE: re[2]: DSM: democratic classro om)

From: Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 15:46:58 EST

One vote in agreement here.

I've been guilty of this, too, so not just pointing fingers at others, but:
Many of the responses in here and many of my own encounters and discussions
with proponents of the model have been characterized by a more or less
subtle bad attitude. Not that this happens all the time, but way too often.
For example:

- been-there, done-that replies (long suffering sigh almost audible) to
people's questions. Hey, if we can't answer a legitimate question in a
polite, supportive manner, why not just stay quiet?

- militancy towards people groping forward. People see the problems with
schooling, and are struggling in what often looks like a near-vacuum to make
it better. It wouldn't kill us to acknowledge their efforts - ya know, home
schooling isn't as good as a Sudbury education. So? If someone who may live
a thousand miles from the nearest Sudbury school has risked the ire of
friends, family and the establishment to try to give their kids something
better, that's a great and noble thing. It wouldn't hurt us to acknowledge
that every once in a while before we unload the dump truck of reasons why
it's not good enough.

- somebody asks a question here - and gets a reading list or a reference to
archived discussions in response. I would suggest a reading list is a good
response to a request for a reading list, but not to a question posted to a
*discussion* group. It's like we don't have time or interest in responding?
Then don't respond.

- as Alan mentioned, the whole 'democratic classroom' thing - sure, it's
partial and limited, and those of us with any real experience with the model
can see that the whole idea of a democracy within a traditional coercive
school is fundamentally and fatally flawed - but can't we spend a line or
two acknowledging the attempt and sympathizing before we shoot it down? And
then, shoot it down as gently as possible? Just because we may be tired of
hearing of it doesn't mean it might not be a shining moment for the poster
who tried it.

I'd chalk this all up to the lack of nuance inherent in an email chat list,
except that it also characterizes many of the face to face encounters I've
had. And, unfortunately, it's not just me - I've asked others who have come
in contact with proponents of the school about how it left them feeling, and
had a couple of those 'oh, you too?' moments.

Note that I'm not suggesting watering anything down, least of all the
philosophy that underlies our schools. I'm suggesting a little more sympathy
and a little less militancy in supporting our views. If I had to describe
the net emotional impression I've gotten from all my dozens of encounters
with other proponents of the model on a 'warm, sympathetic and supportive'
to 'cold, aloof and off-putting' scale, it would be, frankly, way closer to
the cold end. If it weren't for the beauty of the philosophy (and the
enthusiasm of Amy Erez, who was my first encounter with Sudbury) I might not
have been able to see past the defensiveness and possessiveness of
supporters of the model.

Sorry, this got real long, but one last thing: Maybe the model is like a
child. Maybe, in our well-intentioned efforts to protect it and nurture it,
we've in fact been smothering it and stunting its growth. Maybe we need to
have more confidence in it, to trust that it can stand up and make its way
in the world without us fussing over it so much. Personally, I've been
trying to develop a much more open and supportive attitude towards both the
model and its critics. There's no reason this model should not explode upon
the world - our kids, with their freedom and their skills, put the lie to
all the objections and all the claims of coercive schools. We just need to
run our schools as best we can and embrace our critics as best we can, lay
out our arguments in as calm and helpful a way as we can and do our best not
to make any more enemies than we strictly need.

Anybody else feel this way, or am I totally off base?

Joseph (on board for 7 years and counting, 3 kids at Diablo Valley School)