DSM: seduced by resources

From: Isabel (isblcsy@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 12:42:39 EST

I am new to the list and I need help! I am the mother of two boys ages 5
1/2 and 3. I have been touring several private, progressive schools in our
area as well as a Sudbury Valley-type school.

Here's my problem...I am totally in agreement with the Democratic School
philosophy. In fact, I love it. But the SV school in my area is in an old
building with few resources and the resources they do have are very old.

On the other hand, the Progressive schools I've seen have unbelievable
resources. Beautiful campuses, computer labs with high-speed internet,
digital cameras, laser printers, science centers, art rooms, full-blown
theatres for student productions and on and on and on and on.....

The SV-type school has none of the physical resources offered by the
Progressives but they offer an environment of freedom and respect.

I think my DS will do just fine in a free environment with very limited
material resources, but I wanted to post to the list just to make sure.

What do you all think?

Thanks, Isabel