re[4]: DSM: democratic classroom

From: Jesse Fisher (freedomworks@burgoyne.com)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 18:36:13 EST

Dawn, I just realized you were addressing me! (My name is Jesse, not Jeff -- easy mistake -- many do it).

I think you misinterpreted my meager efforts and misjudged my motives. I was attempting to give my Eighth grade classes a glimpse of the reality of their situation as incarcerated students -- I was very specific in how they were trapped in an autocratic social institution, being denied all the rights they are expected to wield later as adults. I showed them how the same philosophies which resulted in the greatest tyrannies of the last century were the same philosophies behind public education. I also wanted to give them a glimpse of what was possible (ala SVS). Was it 100% democratic? Certainly not. More like 15-30% -- which is quite a bit more than they were getting otherwise. Wouldn't you agree that even 15% is better than none? After I left, they went back to having none.

Would you also criticize the motives a person who out of compassion for the captives in a concentration camp, takes a job as a guard, shows the inmates some mercy, lets them have a small measure of self-government (at the peril of his own job and life)? Would you call his efforts manipulation?

I paid a price for my efforts. The stress of it all ruined my health, I still have effects from it 5 years later. I had to act contrary to my conscience to remain a public school teacher -- caused me immense intestinal turmoil. I truly felt like a traitor in the enemy's camp -- because I was. What I did was treasonous to public education -- it was intended to plant seeds which would some day contribute (in some small way) to bringing about the end of the unjust power of the system over students. At one point, I simply had to stand up to the system, job or no job -- I let the principal have it with both barrels -- telling him that every fiber of my being told me it was wrong to compel students to learn what they haven't choosen to learn, it robbed them of their dignity, it sapped them of their natural initiative to learn, it in no way prepared them to be members of a free society. I told him that I had tried to give them a taste of freedom hoping, praying, that they might see enough of the light to kn
ow it was good, to know that it was worth striving for. Needless to say, that act weakened my career as a public school teacher, but it certainly strengthened my resolve to be a voice for freedom and democracy in education.

Dawn, maybe you could tell us about your efforts in the battle.

Jesse Fisher, Founder
Freedom Preservation Foundation