Re: DSM: Almost Democracy

From: Alan Klein (Alan@klein.net)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 12:53:28 EST

Scott,

Thanks for the info on the Assembly's makeup.

My point was not about how the Assembly has actually functioned, nor about
how parents have actually functioned. My point, which you corroborated when
you say that the Assembly is the body that can change the Bylaws (as versus
the SM), is that, high hurdles notwithstanding, the Assembly COULD indeed
pull the plug. The analogy to the Massachusetts is faulty, since (I assume)
that changes to the Massachusetts Constitution cannot be made by the
legislature alone, even acting unanimously.

The comparison i was trying to draw was this: Often, when someone brings up
their experience doing "almost democracy" in a non-democratic school,
someone else on this list will say something to the effect of, "Yes, BUT you
retained the final authority and the kids knew that they had better make
decisions like you wanted them to or you were going to pull the plug on the
whole thing."

In point of fact, we all function within larger systems, many segments of
which could pull the plug on our democratic schools. Parents could decide
not to support us, local laws could mitigate against us, etc. So long as we
acknowledge these constraints on our power, I don't see that people doing
"almost democracy" in non-democratic schools are lying to anyone, as you
suggested they do when you said, "I can't 'prove' that being systematically
lied to is worse than being forced to make my bed..."

~Alan