RE: re[2]: DSM: democratic classroom

From: Joe Jackson (
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 20:31:14 EST

> but i feel like saying that nothing can be destroyed in a
> child and damage can be remedied - IF the child is willing.
> of course i realize this is part of my belief system, but i
> found _destroy_ in reference to non-sudbury schools too
> extreme.

Well, like I said, there are a couple of ways of looking at it. And in
my opinion the word "destroy" doesn't imply that what's happened to the
child cannot be undone - the "undoing" is something I see every day at

Sorry if the word "destroy" is a turn-off to people, but it would be
disingenuous of me to state anything other than what I have seen with
conventionally-schooled children; the "spark" that starts disappearing
after merely weeks of standing in line in their first-grade classrooms.

> kids are just as responsible for how they approach,
> view and deal with a dilemma or problem as anybody else is;
> according to their circumstances they'll have varying degrees
> of difficulty or ease making their choices.

How can kids be as responsible as adults in the way they approach
problems when, in a conventional school, they haven't the least bit of
choice or options with which to deal with them? That's a very puzzling
statement. If you mean we must all make the best of any situation, then
that's a separate issue, but most kids are not allowed near the
responsibility in their lives that adults are.

If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please send an email TO with the following phrase in the BODY (not the
subject) of the message:

This mailing list is archived at