RE: re[2]: DSM: democratic classroom

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 20:31:14 EST

Morticia,

> but i feel like saying that nothing can be destroyed in a
> child and damage can be remedied - IF the child is willing.
> of course i realize this is part of my belief system, but i
> found _destroy_ in reference to non-sudbury schools too
> extreme.

Well, like I said, there are a couple of ways of looking at it. And in
my opinion the word "destroy" doesn't imply that what's happened to the
child cannot be undone - the "undoing" is something I see every day at
Fairhaven.

Sorry if the word "destroy" is a turn-off to people, but it would be
disingenuous of me to state anything other than what I have seen with
conventionally-schooled children; the "spark" that starts disappearing
after merely weeks of standing in line in their first-grade classrooms.

> kids are just as responsible for how they approach,
> view and deal with a dilemma or problem as anybody else is;
> according to their circumstances they'll have varying degrees
> of difficulty or ease making their choices.

How can kids be as responsible as adults in the way they approach
problems when, in a conventional school, they haven't the least bit of
choice or options with which to deal with them? That's a very puzzling
statement. If you mean we must all make the best of any situation, then
that's a separate issue, but most kids are not allowed near the
responsibility in their lives that adults are.

-Joe