DSM: Re: private school approaches in public school classrooms

From: Alan Klein (Alan@klein.net)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 08:05:31 EST

 Neat! You remind me of The Union Institute, a Ph.D. program in which my father is a "core faculty member" (www.tui.edu). In it, learners are the chairs of their own doctoral committee. They create a committee that includes at least one core faculty member, one "second reader", an outside expert in the field(s) one is investigating, and at least one current or former Union learner. Learners create their own programs, sometimes taking classes, but more often reading, taking workshops, leading workshops, creating new systems and knowledge, etc. The sum it all up in a Project Demonstrating Excellence" (PDE) which can be something like a traditional dissertation, but can take any form that the committee approves.

~Alan Klein