Re: DSM: democratic classroom

From: Hunderhill@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 22:21:38 EST

I'd like to second what Warren said about the difficulties of implementing
democracy within a traditional school.

I tried it, and the approach a number of students took with me was, "If he
isn't going to grade, then I'll put my time into other subjects where I will
be graded."

I eventually came not to be bitter about that, but they have bought the
desert farm, to extend the metaphor.

The parents were reasonably supportive or at least tolerant, and my
administration too, but it was the kids who sandbagged it.

My compromise now is to reach unanimous assent about basic procedures and
then I serve as the executive of their pragmatic constitution.

It ain't enough, but given where I am, it has to do.

Harlan