DSM: criticising convincing

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 10:46:04 EST

'Sup, Malc.

I didn't mean to imply that convincing people other than critics is not
a waste of time as well, my mensch, just that I am familiar with the
criticisms of Sudbury schooling, and do not feel that convincing critics
is anything other than good sport.

But in terms of the business of promoting the schools it's the whole
idea that burning people-energy and money convincing people that Sudbury
schools are good in order to help the revolution along is a waste of
time in comparison to using those same resources to get the word out to
people who need no convincing.

That's why we set up a Sudbury school rather than trying to reform an
existing one: so we wouldn't have to waste our time convincing people
who aren't even going to take Sudbury schooling seriously until they see
lots of people going to them. And that isn't going to happen until,
say, forty million people in the United States know they exist and, say,
the one out of every 500 of them who need no convincing go to one.

And I would say that while it was less the end of a long hard day than
the beginning of a hard days' night, I see the goals and methods of
setting up a democratic self-initiated classroom in a conventional
school as being completely different than the goals and methods of
setting up a Sudbury school. The latter is where my experience and
interest lies, but I know that William Van Horn is a right guy and I
wish him luck in succeeding in whatever he attempts.

Peace out bro',

Joe