DSM: Marketing & Sudbury (Subject lines: what a concept!)

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 17:58:52 EST

I think the difference between a school that calls itself Sudbury and
the few that have no real discernable differences from Sudbury yet do
not call themselves Sudbury has the most impact on the issue of the
growth and marketing of Sudbury schools: I think people that are
involved with Sudbury schools generally have a common vision and goal as
to what their school is. But with these stable Democratic schools I
don't hink the difference is tremendously significant.

Much of the reason families come to Sudbury schools based on the stated
principles of Sudbury schooling, and not on the relative merits of any
particular school. These principles are universal to Sudbury schooling.

In other words, while there is certainly disparity of vision within
Sudbury groups as to what the school should and should not do, there
exists a model, a target, that tells the family what the school intends
to be. And that within itself puts Sudbury schools in a different
paradigm when it comes to marketing.

My main point is in response to the idea that Sudbury schools may just
be the latest proliferation of "free schools", which not just because I
think Sudbury schools bear substantial differences with free schools,
but because I don't think "free schools" can be considered categories of
schools in the same sense that Sudbury schools are due to the
variability between them.

I feel that there is a marketing difference with the non-Sudbury
democratic schools, too, but obviously the decision of what to call
one's self is up to individual schools and is fueled by much more than
marketing.

-Joe