Re: DSM:

From: Karen Locke (KLOCKE@mn.rr.com)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 23:28:41 EDT

Mike et al

Mike,

It has taken a while to answer because I don't really understand the system
Village School is working under myself. I think it's a hybrid of ideas from
Alfie Kohn (Beyond Discipline) and Restorative Justice . The main goal of
this system seem to me to be trying to achieve positive behavior by asking
and encouraging instead of demanding it. So there is a restorative justice
committee which acts somewhat like the JC does at SVs, but if kids don't
come to the RJC meeting when they're written up there isn't always a
consequence, and consequences at the RJC are agreed by consensus and not
imposed. In my experience these meetings tend to be somewhat better than
some JC meetings I've been at in finding the underlying tensions and
frictions between 2 people. In that way they're something like mediation.
But it seems not to control "wild" behavior - running, biking, etc. in the
school-very well. This problem is compounded this year by the fact that 40%
of the school population is new (and 40% of the staff, as well). So many
kids didn't vote on the rules to begin with, and they don't feel invested in
the continuation of the school or an orderly atmosphere.

I've been asked why, if I support an "organic" form of education in
academics, I don't support it in learning behavioral skills. My response
was that consequences are one way we learn behavioral skills. But I'm not
sure that's valid. That's what people say about academics: if we don't make
them they won't learn. All I know is that I go a little crazy when the
environment seems out of control. I can be o.k. if kids aren't learning
their alphabet. But if they're hitting and calling names it seems crucial
to me to stop it ASAP.

Thoughts? Can we do JC by consensus, including the "offender"? Are there
other structures out there for meeting out justice?

Karen