Re: DSM:

From: Mike Sadofsky (sadofsky@mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 19:14:39 EDT

Karen,

Being unfamiliar with the term, I thought about asking you to define
it and contrast it with your understanding of the SVS judicial system.
Instead, I did a quick search on the topic and went to the University
of Minnesota site where I found a paper, Balanced and Restorative
Justice for Juveniles, A Framework for Juvenile Justice in the 21st
Century. Table 1 on page 23 appears to compare "restorative justice"
with "retributive justice." (Unfortunately it is in pdf format and I
don't have the tools to extract and enclose the Table. But here is
the link http://ssw.che.umn.edu/rjp/Resources/Resource.htm#Restorative
Justice and the paper is Bazemore, G., Pranis, K. & Umbreit. M.S.
1997. Balanced and Restorative Justice for Juveniles: A Framework for
Juvenile Justice in the 21st Century. St. Paul, MN: Center for
Restorative Justice & Peacemaking, University of Minnesota.)

Now obviously, I haven't studied the topic, but my understanding of
the judicial system and practice in effect at Sudbury Valley School
puts it very clearly in the "restorative" column. I would be
interested in learning why you apparently reach a different
conclusion.

Mike